Sunday, June 28, 2009

Dear Michael...



"Music has been my outlet, my gift to all of the lovers in this world. Through it, my music, I know I will live forever."
-Michael Jackson


The greatest entertainer of my generation, arguably all time, died on June 25th, 2009. Michael Joseph Jackson, the King of Pop, was 50 years old.

I come from a very religious family. My father was a preacher and my mother ran the Sunday School/Children's Church. Needless to say, any kind of secular music was heavily frowned upon in my house. But Michael Jackson...he was allowed. I had "Thriller" on vinyl. My mother even bought me the red jacket with all them zippers. He was the only man to ever walk on the moon, sorry Neil Armstrong. I looked forward to watching his videos because each one was a theatrical experience. The man had Scorcese and Spielberg directing his music videos!

When I heard that Michael Jackson died I didn't believe it because there were always rumors being spread about MJ. But then the internet shut down...and I knew it had to be true. Only Michael Jackson could make time stand still.

At first I had mixed feelings about his untimely death.
On one hand...the man...
I had questions about the countless scandals surrounding him, namely, the child molestation allegations. None of these accusations were proven true, but questions remained and the fact that MJ was caught up in it at all turned me off from the man and his music.
On the other hand...his music...
Michael Jackson was a legend who had/has a dominant influence on every aspect of pop culture as we know it. There isn't an artist today that wasn't influenced by MJ, not one. He set the standard for greatness, whether it be voice, dance, style, or video, and he did it the best.

I was going through and listening to his catalog of music over the weekend and I was overwhelmed by the broad scope his music encompassed. Michael Jackson's versatility allowed him to transcend all cultures and music genres (soul, disco, pop, funk, R&B, jazz, rock, gospel). There are too many songs to list and I'd be mad if I missed one, but we all have our favorites and have heard them throughout this weekend.
In particular, "Never Can Say Goodbye" was playing...and tears welled up in my eyes...

Michael Jackson made a difference through his music. I never had the pleasure of experiencing MJ in concert, but I always wondered why people would fall out crying over him. It's because of the pure emotion and love that he had for his craft. MJ made you feel him.

Michael Jackson's goal since he was a child was to be the greatest entertainer ever and to positively touch the lives of everyone who listened to his music. That life long dedication to music, in that capacity, cannot be understood. MJ wasn't allowed to be "normal" because true genius requires insanity. So regardless of the accusations and misconceptions about him, Michael Jackson's music is the part of his legacy that I honor.

"I want you back..."

Rest In Power

1 comment: