Monday, June 29, 2009

I wish BET died and Michael Jackson did a tribute to them



Needless to say I was disappointed with the way the BET Awards '09 turned out. I really don't watch BET, but in light of everything that happened I was expecting a great show. Now I know everyone is going to say "They only had three days" and "They did the best with what they had to work with", but BET's lack of time to prepare is no excuse.

New Edition opened the show with some Jackson 5 hits, which made me think the show would be a success. Jamie Foxx & NeYo's "I'll Be There" was heartfelt. Ciara singing "Heal The World" instead of doing some sort of dance tribute was wrong. NeYo's "Lady In My Life" was one of the better performances of the night, next to the O'Jays tribute/performance. Shout out to Eddie Levert, lol @ "People was dancin and sh*t..." I digress.

One thing that completely turned me off was the performance of Young Money. Drake performed his hit single "Best I Ever Had" which was fine, but it should have ended there. Lil Wayne and Young Money proceeded to come out and perform their song "Every Girl" which isn't appropriate for radio, never mind an award show. Lil Wayne repeatedly uses the word p*ssy and most of his verse had to be censored. To add insult to injury, a group of little girls enter the stage and start dancing around Drake as he sings "I wish I could f*ck every girl in the world"...
Now tell me...couldn't they have brought the children out and had a mass choir of people singing "We Are The World" instead of that f*ckery?
Why couldn't Beyonce, Maxwell, and others switch it up and present a Michael Jackson song? Where was Usher? Justin Timberlake? Mariah? (too soon for Chris Brown?) Maybe I'm asking too much...but am I really?

I'm not saying BET should have scrapped the show they had planned and done a full blown tribute to Michael Jackson. What I'm saying is that some performances (of songs we hear on the radio all day every day) could have been sacrificed for MJ songs. They could have at least done a video montage for the man that revolutionized music videos. There would be no BET Awards if Michael Jackson hadn't change the face of radio and music television. Everyone in that auditorium last night owed Michael Jackson something, but maybe I had the wrong expectations...

1 comment: